in

Can Dogs Die From Poinsettias? (Solved)

Poinsettias can be a very popular Christmas flower during the holiday season. Although they are often criticized for their toxic nature, poinsettia (Euphorbiapulcherrima), plants are actually mildly toxic to dogs and cats. It contains chemical detergents called saponin-like detergents and diterpenoid, euphorbol ester esters. While poinsettias are commonly “hyped” as poisonous plants, they rarely are, and the poisoning is greatly exaggerated. Mild signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and a few cases of diarrhea can be observed if the milky sap is ingested. If the milky sap is exposed to skin, dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness) may develop 😁 Rarely, eye exposure can result in mild irritation 😊 Signs are generally self-limiting and typically don’t require medical treatment unless severe and persistent. Poinsettia poisoning can be treated with no medication. Poinsettia poisoning can be treated with medical attention, but only if there is a severe case. [1]
More concerning are holiday bouquets with lilies and holly as well. You should inspect all bouquets that holiday guests bring into the home. Lilies are the #1 flower Florists often use this product. A few bites of a lily could cause severe acute symptoms kidney failure in cats – even the pollen is thought to be poisonous! Additional yuletide pant options include mistletoe (holly berries), rosemary, and mistletoe. Toxic to dogs and cats. It is possible to have severe stomach upset if you eat Christmas or English Holly. Most dogs and cats will smack their lips, salivate, or shake their heads excessively after ingesting the spiny leaves. As for mistletoe, most of us hang it high enough so it’s out of reach of our dogs and cats – nevertheless, it can also be toxic if ingested. It is much less toxic than European mistletoe. Although mild signs of gastro irritation can be seen, if the mistletoe is ingested in large quantities, it may cause ataxia, seizures, and collapse. Declan Mattson, Yangjiang (China) last updated this 25-days ago [2]
Image #2
Your veterinarian should be notified immediately if your pet has eaten any poinsettia plants. Poinsettia poisoning can be mild to moderate in most cases and is not considered life-threatening. However, it is important to seek veterinary attention. When you go into the veterinarian’s office, take with you part or all of the plant so he may be able to make a faster diagnosis. You may want to bring the Poinsettia with you if you’re not sure if the dog has eaten it. Your veterinarian has extensive knowledge in plant toxicology and will help you to diagnose your pet’s condition by performing testing on the dog and watching his symptoms. Rosie Schrader was a great help and we are very grateful. [3]
Image #3
Based on an article new from growerdirect.comOne theory supporting the belief that poinsettia poisoning began in Hawaii, 1919. A two-year-old child from an Army officer died under a fully grown poinsettia bush. She was holding a poinsettia leaves in her hands. Further investigation revealed that this claim is completely false. Cornell University’s professor tried to trace and confirm the events. Knowing that poinsettias weren’t toxic, he’s doing so in the 1970’s. This was the last. Living witness to the case stated The incident involved no poinsettias and he’s doing not know the origin of the story. Last revised by Gianna Dewitt, Gujranwala (Pakistan) [4]
Reed Pelletier says that at pethealthnetwork.com, “That’s what many pet owners believe, but it’s just not true.” For many years I’d been fighting the rumourr that poinsettias were deadly to dogs and cats. The “killer-poinsettia” myth apparently started back in 1919 when an Army officer stationed in HawaiI foundad found their two-year old child A poinsettia covered her body. This was the logical conclusion. Only it didn’t. Although it was reported widely that the’s poinsettia having been the cause, tests later revealed other causes. Unfortunately the national hysteria created by the initial erroneous news reports was enough to create a legend that’s been particularly persnickety to purge. If a dog, cat (or even a child) eats a poinsettia, they’ll probably have quite a case of GI distress or irritated skin, but they’ll live. Poinsettias do not cause death in cats and dogs, for the 100th time. Get out there and decorate! Corene Chau, Tlaxcala Mexico’s interior designer, is to be sincerely thanked for her insights. [5]

Article references

  1. https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/poinsettia/
  2. https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-safety-tips/are-poinsettias-poisonous-to-cats-dogs/
  3. https://wagwalking.com/condition/poinsettia-poisoning
  4. https://www.growerdirect.com/poinsettia-toxicity
  5. https://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-toxins-poisons/poinsettias-arent-poisonous-there-are-plenty-christmas-dangers-pets
Kelly-Anne Kidston

Written by Kelly-Anne Kidston

I am a writer of many words, from fiction to poetry to reviews. I am an avid reader and a lover of good books. I am currently writing my first novel and would love to find some beta readers who are interested in getting an early look.

Which Is Better Polished Nickel Or Polished Chrome? (SOLVED!)

How Do You Formulate Laundry Detergent? (#1 Answer)